Henry’s Battalion, Hood’s Division, Longstreet’s Corps

Posted to the Project on 28 Jan 10

Henrys Battalion Monument

Henry’s Battalion served as a member of Hood’s Division in the First Corps, Army of Northern Virginia.

About the Main Monument

When was it dedicated? Erected circa 1910. The last monument was completed on December 19, 1910.

What is it made out of? Foundation: Concrete. Monument: Polished smooth red Maine granite. Plaque: Bronze.

What size is it? 3.8 feet x 3.4 feet diameter base. Height 5’4″. Tablet measures 4 feet by 3 feet 8 inches and weighs 300 pounds. Overall weight is 3000 pounds.

Who made it? Albert Russell & Sons Co. of Newburyport, Massachusetts. Erected by the United States War Department.

What does it depict? Monolith consisting of polished smooth red Maine granite pedestal with a circular base. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.

What does it honor? One of 64 Confederate brigade monuments. Designed by E. B. Cope and erected by the U.S. War Department. They indicate the general location of the centers of the various Confederate brigades and artillery battalions during several phases of the battle. Some of the tablets were made from melted down Civil War cannon. The tablets describe the itinerary and movements of each brigade.

How is it inscribed? The monument reads,

C. S. A.
ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA
LONGSTREET’S CORPS HOOD’S DIVISION
HENRY’S BATTALION
Reilly’s Bachman’s Garden’s Latham’s Batteries
Eleven Napoleons Four 10 Pounder Parrotts Two 3 Inch Rifles
One 12 Pounder Howitzer One 6 Pounder Bronze Gun
July 2-3. Occupied this line and took active part in the battle as described on the tablets of the several batteries. The Howitzer the Bronze gun and one 3 inch Rifle were disabled and three captured 10 pounder Parrotts substituted. July 4. On a line a little west of this until 6 P. M. then withdrew from the field. Ammunition expended 1500 rounds. Losses Killed 4 Wounded 23

When was this photograph taken? April 14, 2011.

Where is it located? Located Gettysburg National Military Park, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania 17325. Located on East side of South Confederate Avenue, South of Emmitsburg Road.

Is this monument located along the NPS Auto Tour route? Yes.

Has this monument been moved or changed? This monument has not been moved or materially altered.

Monument Details, Alternative Views, and Contextual Views

no images were found

At Gettysburg

Commander: Maj. Mathias Winston Henry (Nov. 28, 1838-Nov. 28, 1877).

After Action Report: After Action Report of Maj. M. W. Henry (will open a pop up window).

[ICorpsANV]

[SouthCarolina]

[NorthCarolina]

Comment on this Post

Comments are public. If you prefer to communicate privately with the webmaster, email her at jgoellnitz@gmail.com.

Permalink to this Post - Copyright 1997 - 2014 by Jenny Goellnitz.

Navigate the Project

Draw the Sword includes over 900 monuments and markers in and around the Gettysburg National Military Park. Use the pull down menus below to locate monuments by type, location, or order of battle. A quick list of the most popular monuments and my master table containing all the monuments.

Commemorative Monuments

Army of the Potomac

Army of Northern Virginia

Monuments by State

Monuments by Road

Other Battlefield Features

More about the Monuments

If you would like to learn more about the monuments, please visit the Monument 101 section.

Search the Site

Monument Hunting Resources