Dance’s Battalion, Artillery Reserve, Ewell’s Corps

Posted to the Project on 12 Jan 10

Dances Battalion Monument

Dance’s Battalion served as a member of the Artillery Reserve in the Second Corps, Army of Northern Virginia.

About the Main Monument

When was it dedicated? Erected circa 1910. The last monument was completed on December 19, 1910.

What is it made out of? Foundation: Concrete. Monument: Polished smooth red Maine granite. Plaque: Bronze.

What size is it? 3.8 feet x 3.4 feet diameter base. Height 5’4″. Tablet measures 4 feet by 3 feet 8 inches and weighs 300 pounds. Overall weight is 3000 pounds.

Who made it? Albert Russell & Sons Co. of Newburyport, Massachusetts. Erected by the United States War Department.

What does it depict? Monolith consisting of polished smooth red Maine granite pedestal with a circular base. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.

What does it honor? One of 64 Confederate brigade monuments. Designed by E. B. Cope and erected by the U.S. War Department. They indicate the general location of the centers of the various Confederate brigades and artillery battalions during several phases of the battle. Some of the tablets were made from melted down Civil War cannon. The tablets describe the itinerary and movements of each brigade.

How is it inscribed? The monument reads,

C. S. A.
ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA
EWELL’S CORPS ARTILLERY RESERVE
DANCE’S BATTALION
FIRST VIRGINIA ARTILLERY
Cunningham’s Smith’s Watson’s Griffin’s and Graham’s Batteries
Four 20 Pounder Parrotts Four 10 Pounder Parrotts
Ten 3 Inch Rifles Two Napoleons

July 1. The Battalion reached the field in evening too late to take part in the battle.

July 2 & 3. The four first named batteries occupied positions at various points on this ridge. Graham’s Battery of 20 Pounder Parrotts served east of Rock Creek. All were actively engaged.

July 4. At nightfall began the march to Hagerstown.

Losses Killed 3 Wounded 19

Ammunition expended 1888 rounds.

When was this photograph taken? December 17, 2009.

Where is it located? Located Gettysburg National Military Park, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania 17325. Located on West side of Confederate Avenue, North of Fairfield Road on Seminary grounds.

Is this monument located along the NPS Auto Tour route? No.

Has this monument been moved or changed? This monument has not been changed or materially altered.

At Gettysburg

Commander: Captain Willis Jefferson Dance (June 21, 1821-February 13, 1887) served as a Confederate artillerist in the American Civil War.

After Action Report: After Action Report of Capt. Willis J. Dance (will open a pop up window).

[IICorpsANV]

[Virginia]

Comment on this Post

Comments are public. If you prefer to communicate privately with the webmaster, email her at jgoellnitz@gmail.com.

Permalink to this Post - Copyright 1997 - 2014 by Jenny Goellnitz.

Navigate the Project

Draw the Sword includes over 900 monuments and markers in and around the Gettysburg National Military Park. Use the pull down menus below to locate monuments by type, location, or order of battle. A quick list of the most popular monuments and my master table containing all the monuments.

Commemorative Monuments

Army of the Potomac

Army of Northern Virginia

Monuments by State

Monuments by Road

Other Battlefield Features

More about the Monuments

If you would like to learn more about the monuments, please visit the Monument 101 section.

Search the Site

Monument Hunting Resources