1st Corps, 3rd Division, 2nd Brigade
Posted to the Project on 04 Aug 09
The 1st Corps, 3rd Division, 2nd Brigade was also known as Stone’s Brigade. During the battle of Gettysburg, it served as a member of Stone’s Brigade in Doubleday’s Division of the First Corps, Army of the Potomac.
About the Main Monument
When was it dedicated? Erected circa 1912.
What is it made out of? Foundation: Concrete. Monument: Polished smooth sea-green granite. Plaque: Bronze.
What size is it? 36′ by 36′ base. Weight: 300 Pounds. Height 5’4″. Tablet measures 4 feet by 3 feet 8 inches.
Who made it? Albert Russell & Sons Co. of Newburyport, Massachusetts. Erected by the United States War Department.
What does it depict? Monolith consisting of polished smooth sea-green granite pedestal with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.
What does it honor? One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons.
How is it inscribed? The monument reads,
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
FIRST CORPS THIRD DIVISION
Col. Roy Stone Col. Langhorne Wister
Col. Edmund L. Dana
143D 149th 150th Pennsylvania Infantry
July 1. Arrived and went into position at McPherson buildings between Reynolds Woods and the Railroad Cut and was subjected to a heavy front and enfilading artillery fire from the right. Repulsed repeated attacks of Brig. Daniel’s Brigade Major Gen. Rodes’s Division from the right as well as front attacks until pressed on both flanks and in front by superior numbers. It retired to Seminary Ridge and held temporary breast works there until the Corps retired before overwhelming numbers to Cemetery Hill when the Brigade with the Division took position at the left of the cemetery on and near the Taneytown Road.
July 2. Late in the afternoon moved to left and took position previously occupied by First Division Second Corps.
July 3. Remained in the same position under the heavy artillery fire in the afternoon.
The strength of the Brigade July 1st 1315
Casualties Killed 4 Officers 105 Men Wounded 35 Officers 430 Men Captured or Missing 8 Officers 271 Men Total 853
When was this photograph taken? September 30, 2011.
Where is it located? Located Gettysburg National Military Park, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania 17325. Located on East side of Stone Avenue just South of Chambersburg Pike.
Is this monument located along the NPS Auto Tour route? No.
Has this monument been moved or changed? This monument has not been moved or materially altered.
Monument Details, Alternative Views, and Contextual Views
no images were found
Commander: Colonel Roy Stone (October 16, 1836 – August 5, 1905) was an Union Army general during the American Civil War. He is most noted for his stubborn defense of the McPherson Farm during the Battle of Gettysburg.
After Action Report: After Action Report of Col. Roy Stone (will open a pop up window).
Comment on this Post
Comments are public. If you prefer to communicate privately with the webmaster, email her at email@example.com.
Permalink to this Post - Copyright 1997 - 2014 by Jenny Goellnitz.